Monday, February 10, 2014

Professional Sports Homophobia

Sports is widely accepted, embraced and loved by mostly everybody. In  today's day and age, you have sports paraphernalia almost everywhere you go especially the downtown area of major cities with sports teams such as Cleveland, Atlanta, New York, Los Angeles, and so on. Even as little boys, fathers dream of their sons being football players, basketball and baseball players. That, of course is to be expected.
However, what happens when the sports world meets with homosexuals who are basketball, baseball, and football players? How do you accept that? Why must people despise what they do not understand? Why must they shun what they do not know? How do you bring the sports world to cope with the idea of a homosexual being on a college, and professional sports team?
Well, speaking as an openly gay African American male, I believe that my sexuality has nothing to do with me being a sports writer. My sexuality does not effect my skills as a writer nor my credibility in knowing what I know about sports which just happens to be my first love. The point I am attempting to make is that I am not any different than any other writer because of my sexuality. I can write just as good and my credibility can be just as good. There is nothing extra special about me.
When I applied for this job with Sports Blog New York, I had sent a total of about six or seven articles that I had previously written. Gratefully, I was given the job. My writing skills were. My ability to capture the reader's attention was important. My credibility was important. My essential characteristics as a writer was important. My ability to get articles done in a timely and orderly fashion was important. My sexuality was not important and had nothing to do with the job that I was given. Why would it be?
I commend University of Missouri defensive lineman Michael Sam for openly admitting the truth about his sexuality. What makes me very proud is the fact that this man will be entering the NFL and will very well possibly the first openly gay player in the NFL. He was part of a team that had gone 12-2 and had won the Cotton Bowl. His other accolades include being named the Associated Press defensive player of the year and voted him MVP. He has now opened the door for many gay males, black, white, Asian, Native American athletes who have been struggling being open about their sexuality and playing sports whether professional or college or high school or middle school. This is an amazing milestone. Personally, I know that a huge burden was lifted up off of him.
For those of you that are heterosexual and are homophobic, I have a question. Did Michael Sam's sexuality have anything to do with him having 60 solo tackles, 51 assisted tackles, 32.5 yards lost for tackles, 18.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, 62 yard returns after interception, 1 touchdown, and 5 forced fumbles in his 4 years with Missouri? Why should his sexuality matter on the field or even off? He has feelings like everybody else. Gay or Straight. Color does not matter. Sexual preference does not matter.
I have reason to believe that he will be a great fit in the NFL. If he is already a powerhouse now, can you imagine how he is going to be in the NFL?
It is not our job to judge anybody. Especially in the sports world where we would rather accept a professional football, basketball, baseball, softball, hockey, soccer player who fits the stereotypical characteristics of a straight male who could be a very bad role model for children, and teens all over the world than a very positive gay man who has a stellar performance when it is time to work.
The only difference between a gay male and a straight male, is that the gay male would rather be with and love a man. The straight male would rather be with and love a woman. People are different. God made everybody differently. No one is the same. In sports, you have all kinds of people that grace us with their presence in the sports world.
" I think he would not be accepted as much as he thinks he would be accepted." New Orleans Saints Linebacker, Jonathan Vilma said regarding Michael Sams. He also mentioned his reluctance to having a gay teammate. Even Vikings punter, Chris Kluwe was subjected to ridicule when he openly supported gay marriage by teammates and coaches. Just those two reasons there show you that the sports world is divided in this. Some straight professional sports players support it because they believe in human rights. Some do not support because they knock, tear down, and avoid what they do not understand.
By Vilma stating that he did not want a gay teammate, that sort of stunned me because I really thought, "How homophobic can this guy be?" Immediately, my mind had gone back to the Jim Crow era. It was just like players not wanting Jackie Robinson to play in the major leagues because he was a "Negro." I couldn't really believe the words that came out of Vilma's mouth, This is completely unacceptable.What if someone said, "I do not want a black teammate?" Then, the player would be reprimanded and probably kicked out of the league. His career would be over. He would be labeled as a racist and a scum. That comes to show you how screwed up society is. This is unacceptable and it must change.
I do not understand how people can be so close minded in something that has nothing to do with them. His sexuality should not be a factor in wining games. Ignorance is bliss in the sports world. It poisons the mind of some of the most talented people in the world, not excluding politicians. If Vilma does not like it, he should leave the league or team. He seems to be the only one with the issue. An issue that is broadly ignored because people choose to avoid it like it does not exist. It does exist, and Michael Sams is given proof!
Do yourselves a favor and do not shun what you do not understand. Do not make a comment about something you know nothing about. Do not be ignorant and small minded. It is not a good look. America is supposed to be "land of the free" and "home of the brave." How must a person be free if they are afraid to reveal who they really are because of fear of not being accepted?
Do we not live in the same country? Have the same president? Have the same laws? Eat the same food? Drive the same roads? Celebrate the same holiday? Love our sports teams? Love our significant others? Want love? Need love? Buy single game and season tickets? We have too much in common...for some to be so foolish.
Michael Sams, my brother, my friend, OUR hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment